Well I had two days to get a list together for the preschool edible landscaping. As I was working on it I was asked if I could also be prepared to take on the leadership of some of the other areas if it becomes necessary on the day. I was given some background on the dimensions of some of the beds, some of the politics, a little bit about who I’d be working with etc. I got in a few phonecalls with some of the other staff and volunteers, but no face to face meetings.
I decided to start with learning objectives because I thought it would give a framework to what would be built and how. Once the list is in I can start using these objectives to make some recommendations and/or a proposal for curriculum or some special workshops I thought I could come in to do – if it’s wanted. I’d also love to get some other actual professionals in if it’s possible.
So, here are the learning objectives – some from Francesca (thanks Fran!):
- Plant Growth: photosynthesis, nutrients and soil, pollination (bees and butterflies too!)
- Nutrition: fresh food, healthy eating and organic food
- Cooking: recipes for snacks and drinks
- Healing: plants used to calm or heal the body and spirit
- Cleaning: using natural garden products for house or person!
- Water Conservation: rainwater collection, low flow irrigation systems
- Grow and Buy Local: trucking, refrigeration, energy use
- Organic: natural pest control (lady bugs, plants etc), natural fertilisers (manures, worm composting etc)
- Composting: kitchen scraps, worm composters, soil and nutrient development
Arts and Crafts:
- Vegetable and Fruit dyes (beets etc.)
- Vegetable prints (carrot, squash etc)
- Drawing the garden
- Making stepping stones
- pressing flowers
- making plant markers/tags
So as you can see, many of these are inter-related. I also decided to think beyond the preschool age in case the elementary school gets to use it as well. I can think of many more ideas too, but am trying to keep it simple.
Once that was done I put together a list of all the materials, plants, tools etc. required for the day:
If you are interested in helping out, I could use some knowledgeable gardeners, builders etc., or anyone willing to get their hands dirty and lift lots of stuff. Children aren’t allowed on the day because of some of the heavy construction happening in the same area (the preschool is getting a facelift).
APRIL 30th, 2011
Email me here to join up!